New York Computer, Internet And Cyber Law Crimes
Top Representation in New York City & Across NY State For Computer and Internet Crime Investigations, Charges & Indictments
Crimes involving the use of computers and the internet, sometimes referred to as “Cyber Crime” or violations of “Cyber Law”, continue to increase both in number and scope. With the escalating use of computers in our personal and professional lives, and the dominance of the internet in the way we do business, the opportunity for those who might use this changing technology in a way which violates federal or state criminal laws has grown as well.
In response, law enforcement agencies in New York and elsewhere have created specialized units to investigate computer and internet-related crimes. And the United States Congress continues to enact legislation year after year that creates new federal crimes targeting the illegal uses of computer systems and the internet.
If you are under investigation for or have been accused of a federal or New York state crime involving computers or the internet, it is essential that you hire a NY Computer Crimes Defense Attorney with the experience and resources necessary to successfully defend against these charges.
And if you need such an attorney….I am ready to help.
I have skillfully represented business executives and students, employees and entrepreneurs….all of whom came under suspicion or were arrested by federal or state authorities for their alleged involvement in computer and internet-related crimes.
Working closely with my forensic experts, I always mount an effective defense to computer and internet related charges.
Successful Results For Computer and Internet Related Charges
Here’s an example of how I helped a client with his Computer Identity Fraud Charges….
I received a call from a Brooklyn MTA employee whose home was searched and computer seized pursuant to a search warrant obtained by Suffolk County Detectives. The detectives claimed that my client had been involved in an ongoing credit card forgery scheme in which tens of thousands of dollars in fraudulent purchases were made using a computer with the client’s internet protocol or “IP” address.
After investigating the circumstances, I worked to convince the detectives that due to the use of wireless technology, it was likely someone nearby had used a computer to commit the crimes under investigation….not my client. After a forensic analysis of the computer failed to disclose evidence of any crime, my client was cleared of all wrongdoing and his computer was returned to him.
Here’s a peek at the New York Penal Law relating to Computer and Internet Crimes…and what you might be facing if the authorities begin an investigation.
New York State Computer and Internet Related Crimes
- Computer Tampering
- Unlawful Duplication of Computer Related Material
- Criminal Possession of Computer Related Material
Federal Computer and Internet Related Crimes
- Mail Fraud -1341
- Wire Fraud – 1343
- Fraud and Related Activity in Connection with Computers – 1030
- Fraud and Related Activity in Connection with Access Devices – 1029
- Injury or Destruction to Communication Lines, Stations or Systems – 1362
- Illegal Interception of Wire, Oral or Electronic Communications – 2511
- Illegal Manufacture, Distribution, Possession and Advertising of Illegal Devices for the Interception of Wire, Oral or Electronic Communications – 2512
- Unlawful Access to Stored Communications – 2701
- Illegal Installation or Use of a Pen Register Device – 3121
- Criminal Copyright Infringement – 17 USC 506 and 2319
- Trafficking in Counterfeit Goods or Services – 2320
- Computer Hacking
- Trafficking in Counterfeit Labels – 2318
- Trafficking in Recordings of Live Musical Performances – 2319A
- Launching Spam Email Attacks
- Identity Theft
- Credit Card Fraud
- Unlawful Possession or Use of Access Devices
- Internet Fraud
- Computer Fraud
- Sale of counterfeit goods over the internet
- Software Piracy
- Computer Game Piracy
- Video Game Piracy
- Music Piracy
- Internet Pornography
- Possession of Child Pornography on a PC or Computer
- Use of the Internet to disseminate child pornography
- Instant Messaging (IM) Sexually Explicit Material to Children
- Online Child Sex Solicitation
- Cyber Stalking
- Crimes Against Computers and the Internet
- Hacking and Computer Sabotage
- Internet Gambling
- Cyber Terrorism – Stealing Data and Shutting Down Computers
If you find yourself facing any of these these crimes, I have:
- Experience representing individuals in federal court who are accused of participating in federal counterfeiting schemes.
- Experience challenging the right of law enforcement to search through a person’s computer in an effort to uncover evidence of a crime.
- Experience in representing individuals charged in internet child-abuse stings in which undercover agents pose as minors in online chat-rooms and engage persons in sexually explicit conversation.
- Experience in representing individuals under investigation by federal authorities for their role in an allegedly illicit internet pharmacy business.
- Experience in representing individuals under investigation for violation of federal trade secret statute for allegedly pirating proprietary software program.
- Experience in representing individuals under investigation for computer-related identity theft.
- Experience challenging prosecution claims that a person had viewed certain material found on their computer.
So, if you, or a loved one, ever gets a knock at the door and it’s the authorities investigating a Computer or Internet related crime, don’t hesitate to call me immediately for a free consultation at 212-285-2270. If you are needing help after regular business hours or on weekends, call my emergency line at 917-749-4420.