Tragic end to Memorial Day weekend in New York City

It was a deadly end to Memorial Day weekend in New York City with many individuals shot and at least 2 individuals stabbed all over the boroughs.

According to the police, a retired NYPD officer shot a man to death who attempted to carjack him on early Tuesday morning in Brooklyn.

The incident happened at about 3:10 a.m. The former officer, whose name was not released, was sitting in his vehicle on the corner of Georgia Avenue and Linden Blvd when 2 individuals approached him. 1 individual, identified as 18-year-old Manuel Ocampo, demanded money from the police officer. The officer got out of his vehicle and Ocampo got in the vehicle while pointing a gun at the police officer. The retired police officer then shot Ocampo in the head and he died.

According to the police, a firearm was recovered from Ocampo who has many sealed juvenile records and he was taken into custody in November 2013 for criminal possession of a controlled substance.

Police told that the other suspect, an 18-year-old man whose name was not released, escaped the scene but was arrested after sometime.

It is not clear if the retired officer will be charged for the incident or not.

Another incident happened in which two 18-year-old girls and a 24-year-old man were shot at different places after attending a party on 96th Street in Canarsie. Police found all 3 at about 10 p.m. on Monday, a few blocks away from the party, near Avenue M. They were transferred to Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center where they were expected to survive. The reason of the shooting is not clear.

On Tuesday morning, a 20-year-old man was shot to death in Brooklyn and the incident is not connected to any other that happened. According to the police, the man whose name was not released was shot in his neck inside an apartment on 49th street in Sunset Park. No individual has been taken into custody for the shooting.

On Tuesday around 2:10 a.m., an 18-year-old man was shot in the leg at on La Salle Street in Morningside Heights in Manhattan. He was taken to Mount Sinai St. Luke’s Hospital where he is expected to survive.

On Tuesday at around 3:30 a.m., a 25-year-old man was shot in his right upper thigh in Inwood on West 204th Street near Vermilyea Avenue, according to the police. He was taken to Harlem Hospital in stable condition.

Both incidents are not connected to each other.

On Tuesday morning, 2 individuals were stabbed, said the police. In the first incident, 2 individuals were allegedly harassing people on the platform prior to boarding a Brooklyn-bound Q train at Atlantic Avenue. According to the police, 1 of the suspects began to film a 50-year-old man sitting on the train when the second suspect allegedly walked up to him and slapped him around 2:20 a.m. They demanded money, which the victim gave them and then moved to another vehicle.

After that, they approached another man and demanded money again, said police. They then punched him, hit him in the back of the head and then stabbed him in his upper, left abdomen. After that, they took his hat and escaped but according to the police, the knife and hat were found near the vehicle.

The second victim suffered a shallow cut and was taken to a local hospital, police said. A total of $25 was taken.

The 2nd incident happened around 3:30 a.m., in which 2 teens about 16 and 19 years old slashed an 18-year-old man many times on a southbound No. 4 train. Police said one of the suspects said “what’s up?” before they began beating beat him. Both men escaped at the 116th Street station at Lexington Avenue. The victim, whose name was not released by the police, was transferred to Mount Sinai St. Luke’s Hospital for treatment.